|Withdrawn from Service:
|Length over Headstocks:
||56 feet (17 metres)
||8 feet 11 inches (2.7 metres)
||26 ton 8cwt (27 tonnes)
A 1948 Pukeoware – D. J. Maciulaitis photo
Built at the Addington Workshops, Christchurch as a single compartment second class carriage seating 56 passengers with one lavatory . It weighed in at 26ton 8cwt.
In 1942 a second lavatory was fitted at Addington workshops.
In 1972 A 1948 was transferred to Wellington, having spent its life working out of the Christchurch district.
During use in suburban service A 1948 was given the Traffic Monitoring System identification of A56496.
Conversion to a second class suburban carriage was carried out at Addington workshops in May 1980 by removing the two toilet compartments, seating was then available to 62 passengers.
During February 1981 A56496 was transferred to the Auckland district.
A56496 was withdrawn from service in ???? and purchased by the Railway Enthusiast Society for use on Mainline Excursions on the KiwiRail network.
In 2008 A56496 was sent for refurbishment to the Hutt workshops, Wellington.
All carriages in the RES fleet are in Ways and Works yellow with brown trim.