||NZR, East Town Workshops
|Withdrawn from Service:
|Length over Headstocks:
||47 feet 6 itches (14.5 metres)
||7 feet 5 itches (2.2 metres)
||16 ton 6cwt (16.5 tonnes)
Guards Van History:
F 141, Glenbrook – D. J. Maciulaitis photo
Built at East town Railway Workshops, Wanganui in 1908.
This guards van is one of 25 built between 1906 and 1929. F 141 is amongst the first 10 built, and is to the same plan as F 506, the Ways and Works guards van. As built 141 was fitted with a coal stove to provide heating for the guard,.
F 141 was initially allocated to the Wanganui district.
As built it had 2794 type bogies fitted. At some point in NZR service the 2794’s were removed and newer ’De luxe’ type 7781 bogies with Isothermic axle boxes were fitted.
Another modification done to F 141 is the fitting of pressed steel guards lookouts, these would have originally been wooden and to a different design. See Af 804, Tainui, to see how the originals would have looked.During 1978 as part of the Traffic Monitoring System identification F 141 was renumbered as F 100.
F 141 has been modified for passenger accommodation, the 4 side doors have been removed, and the upper half of the carbody removed to provide a covered, open air viewing carriage. The guards compartment has been retained.
F 141 was named Nga Tira after one of the great canoes which brought the Maori people from Hawaiki, and painted in the then standard GVR livery of Ways and Works yellow with brown trim. F 141 has since been repainted into a more traditional red, with gold trim.
During the 2014 ‘shut-down’ a knife board seat was fitted in place of the chairs previously fitted and underframe repairs were carried out as well as a repaint into the new standard red of the GVR fleet