|Withdrawn from Service:
|Length over Headstocks:
||43 feet, 6 inches (13.34 metres)
||7 feet 6 inches (2.29 metres)
||13ton 12cwt (13.82 tonnes)
||Stored awaiting overhaul
-D.J. Maciulaitis - photo
A 543 was built at the NZR's Hillside, Dunedin workshops in 1896 and entered service in November 1896 as
a two compartment second class 48 seat car, this car didn't receive a lavatory.
The roof type on this carriage is known as either a clerestory (pronounced clear story) or elevated roof,
they are designed to give more light and ventilation to the carriage.
Westinghouse air brakes were fitted in March 1904. Cushions were fitted in February 1904 in Dunedin.
From information available A 543 was a Dunedin carriage for all it's passenger carrying life, ending up as a
school carriage on suburban trains being written off at Addington, Christchurch in December 1954.
But the story doesn't end there, A 543 was taken over by the Signals Branch of the NZR and rebuilt as their
dining and kitchen carriage, becoming Ea 2853. This formed part of their train set that travelled all over the
South Island rail network. It was in this guise that members of the Railway Enthusiast Society fondly
remember the carriage and when it was written off in 1975 it was purchased for use on the Glenbrook
Vintage Railway. It was duly railed from the South Island to Auckland.